The end-to-end Service Management is one of the network operators, as well as the wider industry, most important key NFV features. Business decisions are oriented to create different services for different customers, enabling a rich suite of personalized offers. The key value resides in that customers may be able to compose their own proprietary services selecting basic network service components in order to create the services that better fit with their specific needs.
Software Networks are a trend that brings several benefits but clearly impact into the network operation and strategy. Surely, there will be a variety of SDN and NFV solutions and adoption approaches, so it is necessary to elaborate operation models with different maturity levels to leverage the adoption of these technologies.
In this context, one of the key challenges is the definition of a complete management and orchestration framework that exploits the NFV features taking into account that network services will become more automated and real time basis.
The traditional telecom operation represents a liner flow of processes, most of them are within one service provider’s domain hence it can be exclusively designed based on individual service provider’s needs. In an ecosystem environment, work is mostly done in a collaborative fashion which may cross multiple internal organizations as well as external partnership, development community boundaries.
The needed coordination will have three focuses:
• A resource oriented management: on-demand instantiation based on the available resources.
• Fault, Configuration, Accounting, Performance and Security (FCAPS) management: scaling, healing, placement based on alarming, SLAs, latency, error faults…
• A well-enabled packaging metamodel which provides a template to capture a rich set of metadata about a Virtual Function (i.e. any software function/application, not just Virtual Network Functions), and its behaviors (configurations and controls) that can be used to automate downstream processes.
Network management in legacy networks is based on Element Management that uses strategies like alarm filtering and correlation. The virtualized approach, that is essentially of a dynamic nature, should be more focused on services management, based on a real time Service & Network Management.
SONATA supports the full service lifecycle: development, testing, orchestration, deployment, management and operations, and will define a roadmap for uptake of its results towards stakeholders' larger transition to SDN/NFV.
SONATA's flexible Service Platform (SP) is the second major component of the system in the project. Due to the fully customizable and modular design of its management and orchestration (MANO) framework, the SP offers customization opportunities on two levels. First, the service platform operator can modify the platform, e.g., to support a desired business model, by replacing components of the loosely coupled MANO framework (MANO plugins). Second, service developers can influence the orchestration and management functionalities of the platform pertaining to their own services, by bundling small management programs, so-called function- and service-specific managers (FSMs/SSMs), with their services. This enables a new level of service control capabilities for service developers such as influencing placement decisions of services deployed across multiple points of presence (PoP). These PoPs are cloud data centers operated by infrastructure operators on which SONATA controlled services are executed.
• EC H2020 5G Infrastructure PPP Phase 2 Pre-structuring Model,
• Networks functions virtualization (NFV). Management and Orchestration. ETSI GS NFV MAN 001 V1.1.1
• Network Functions Virtualisation - Introductory White Paper, http://portal.etsi.org/NFV/NFV_White_Paper.pdf
• Network Operator Perspectives on NFV priorities for 5G, https://portal.etsi.org/NFV/NFV_White_Paper_5G.pdf
• Hybrid/Virtualized Network Management: E2E Service Assurance and SLA Management R16.0.1, Exploratory Report, https://www.tmforum.org/resources/standard/ig1127-hybridvirtualized-netw...
• TR229 ZOOM/NFV User Stories Suite R16.5.0, https://www.tmforum.org/resources/collection/tr229-zoom-nfv-user-stories...
• Procurement and Onboarding of Virtualization Packages R16.5.0 Standard, https://www.tmforum.org/resources/standard/ig1141-procurement-and-onboar...
• Image, https://pixabay.com/es/marca-marcador-mano-deja-516278/